The Mediterranean is not only an area of conflict and crisis, but also a space for momentous opportunities. Overcoming pessimism and developing a positive agenda for the region is the ultimate goal of Rome MED 2016, the conference organized from 1 to 3 December by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and ISPI. On this occasion, ISPI published the MED Report to build upon the four pillars of the conference (shared prosperity, shared security, migration, and culture & civil society) and provide a useful tool to stimulate debate during Rome MED and beyond.
The Report is meant to launch new ideas to “leave the storm behind” and design a positive agenda for the future building on experts’ insights and policy suggestions. The volume is enriched by infographics and maps depicting the main regional trends. The goal of the Report is not to delve exhaustively into all the questions and the issues that concern the region and on which its future depends, but to provide in-depth insights and to formulate concrete proposals.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Towards a Shared Security Framework?
- Formulating a new security architecture for the Middle East, Ellie Geranmayeh
- Talking inspiration from the Helsinki process, Julian Weinberg
The Land of Instability: Which Options for Peace?
- Some steps to rebuild peace in Syria, Agnès Favier
- Overcoming the deadlock in Libya, Arturo Varvelli
- Yemen: avoiding a breakup, Armando Sanguini
Daesh: Reshaping the Middle East?
- Why Mosul matters, Vali Nasr
Understanding Radicalization: Daesh as a Magnet?
- Why Daesh fascinates the youth, Olivier Roy
The Arms Race in the MENA Region
Euro-Med Economic Cooperation: Building New Bridges
- Finance, business environment and EIB in the MENA region, Debora Revoltella and Frank Betz
Fostering Inclusive Economic Growth
- The Mediterranean rim: looking for a growth engine, Mina Toksoz
Market Liberalization: Still Underway?
Increasing Investment for Development
- How to foster investment in the MENA region, Maria Demertzis
Going Digital: Dream or Reality?
The Energy Puzzle: Towards Sustainable Security
- Turning the Mediterranean energy challenges into opportunities, Simone Tagliapietra
- Towards an Eastern Mediterranean gas hub?, Manfred Hafner
Mediterranean Connections: A Global Maritime Hub
Blooming the Desert: How to Cope with Water Scarcity?
Betting on Education: An Asset for the Future
- Investing more, investing better, Sarah Hartmann
At the Root of a Complex Phenomenon
- The Mediterranean: gateway to Europe's history and future, Wolfgang Kaschuba
Migrants in Transit
- Facing a human and political challenge, Dorothée Schmid
Europe: What Lies Beyond the "Walls"?
- A realistic agenda on migrations from Africa, Mattia Toaldo
Syrian Refugee Crisis: Heading Towards a Better Regional Management
- Coping with the regional effects of the Syrian refugee crisis, Samir Aita
CIVIL SOCIETY AND CULTURE
Cultural Encounters: Reshaping EU-MED Relations
- Feeding culture from below, Claire Spencer
Cultural and Religious Diversity: The Challenge of Pluralism
- Managing diversity in the MENA region, George Fahmi
How to Ensure Youth Inclusion in Political Transitions?
- No inclusion without intrusion in the mindset, Dina Fakoussa
Empowering Women to Empower Society
- Lessons from the Tunisian experience, Wided Bouchamaoui
Narrating the Other: How Do the Media Shape Perceptions?
- Reach out and listen: changing narratives for a new agenda in the Mediterranean, Monica Maggioni